**SIGN THIS PETITION**
To the Pallister government of Manitoba...
The background to this petition is as follows:
1) The people of Manitoba are alarmed at the announcement by the government of premier Brian Pallister to impose a Carbon Tax on the province in 2018.
2) The Progressive Conservative party did not campaign on a promise to introduce a Carbon Tax in the 2016 Election, and did promise to respect a Progressive Conservative law requiring a referendum before the imposition of any new taxes.
3) The PC government claims the Pallister Carbon Tax is a "Made in Manitoba" solution to the threat of a similar tax to be levied by the Trudeau Liberals -- even as conservatives in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario refuse to introduce such a tax and instead will sue Ottawa to defend their citizens and provincial economies.
4) Numerous studies have proven that a Carbon Tax does not reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and is never "revenue neutral." In British Columbia, the only jurisdiction in Canada with a Carbon Tax, emissions have risen, and net government revenues there have increased by the billions.
5) The Pallister government plans to use the proceeds of its Carbon Tax for several illegitimate uses: for general revenue, to pay for a promise to lower the PST, and to finance the purchase of swampland, and to fund the growth of government in the form of a brand new Crown corporation and bureaucracy called Efficiency Manitoba.
We petition the Pallister government as follows:
1) To immediately repeal its Carbon Tax legislation.
2) We urge the Pallister government to instead join the other Prairie provinces in suing Ottawa to protect and defend Manitoba's taxpayers and economy.
3) We demand that the Pallister government respect the letter and spirit of the last Progressive Conservative government's Balanced Budget Law and commit to holding a referendum before any new taxes can be introduced in Manitoba.